See payment products that are changing the way the world pays and gets paid.
What is the EMV standard?
EMV is a standard for globally interoperable, secure payments. The key element of EMV involves including dynamic digital data in every transaction. This makes chip transactions extremely secure and reduces the risk of counterfeit fraud.
When a consumer uses an EMV-enabled device to pay at a chip terminal, the transaction is dynamically authenticated, verified and then authorized. The cardholder can use a PIN (Personal Identification Number) or sign as they do today to verify that the consumer is indeed holding his or her own device.
How does EMV reduce fraud?
In the digital world, payment transactions are getting smarter. And at the heart of these smarter transactions is dynamic authentication, which incorporates unique information in each transaction making it virtually impossible to replicate.
The EMV standard has already been adopted by more than 80 locations where it has significantly reduced counterfeit card fraud, saving hundreds of millions of dollars.
From 1 Jan, 2017, Merchants will no longer need to verify signature for cards issued in Malaysia. Cards issued in Malaysia will have a chip and the cardholder will need to enter 6-digit PIN.
There are a few exceptions when the PIN is not needed:
- Contactless transactions do not need the PIN and signature, if transaction value is below RM 250.
- Cards from overseas can be based on signature and without PIN. If the chip or terminal do not work, merchant can do a PIN Bypass and check signature. However, such PIN Bypass should not be encouraged.
Also, please note:
- Closed-circuit cameras at POS terminals should not record customers' PIN-entry.
- Chip & PIN card should remain in the chip-reading terminal for the full duration of the transaction process.
- The cashier must follow the instructions on the terminal and the cardholder must enter their PIN to authenticate the transaction.
- The cashier must remove the card from terminal when transaction is complete. No signature is required.
Explore how a consumer transaction works
See the three steps a consumer takes at the point of sale
Hotline numbers of issuers and acquirers (chip & PIN)
|1||AEON CREDIT SERVICE||
|2||AFFIN BANK BERHAD||
CONTACT CENTRE NUMBER:
|4||ALLIANCE BANK BERHAD||603 5516 9988|
|5||ALRAJHI BANK BERHAD||
|7||BANK ISLAM MALAYSIA BERHAD||603 2690 0900|
|8||BANK SIMPANAN NASIONAL||
|9||BANK KERJASAMA RAKYAT MALAYSIA||603 2693 6880|
|10||BANK MUAMALAT MALAYSIA BERHAD||1300 88 8787|
|11||BANK OF CHINA MALAYSIA BERHAD||603 2059 5566|
|12||BIGPAY MALAYSIA SDN BHD||
BIG PREPAID MASTERCARD:
AIRASIA EZPAY PASSPORT:
|13||CIMB BANK BERHAD||
|15||FINEXUS CARDS SDN BHD||603 8318 3100|
|16||FIRST DATA MERCHANT SOLUTIONS||
|17||HONG LEONG BANK BERHAD||
|18||HSBC BANK BERHAD||
|19||INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL BANK OF CHINA (M) BERHAD||
|20||KUWAIT FINANCE HOUSE||1300 888 534|
|21||MANAGEPAY SERVICES SDN BHD||1700 81 6729|
|22||MALAYAN BANKING BERHAD||
|23||OCBC BANK BERHAD||
|24||PUBLIC BANK BERHAD||
|25||REVENUE SOLUTION SDN BHD||60 39212 0500|
|26||RHB BANK BERHAD||
|27||SINOPAY MALAYSIA SDN BHD||
|28||STANDARD CHARTERED BANK BERHAD||
|29||SYNERGY CARDS SDN BHD||603 5191 2229|
|30||UNITED OVERSEAS BANK (M) BERHAD||
24 HOUR UOB CALL CENTRE:
|31||GLOBAL PAYMENTS SDN BHD||603 7723 6818|